Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Να Σημανουν την Ανασταση

Να Σημανουν την Ανασταση -- Let Them Ring In The Resurrection.

From 1967-1974 Greece, the birthplace of Democracy, was under a strict dictatorship. People were randomly imprisoned for belief that they were communists or lefties, the country was under rule by a military run, ultra conservative dictatorship. The entire country suffered.

In 1950 my dad was born, in 1968, a year after the start of this rule, he started college. The years get fuzzy for me at this point, but he eventually got his bachelors and started an uprising against the dictatorship at his university. He then spent some number of years in jail, and once the government collapsed in 1974, ran off to the US.

This has been a fact about my father I've known for over six years, but until yesterday, failed to actually research the surrounding events or ask him about it. Now, I'm starting to read the history, and realize that my father was involved in something much larger than history books give it credit for. This strengthens my pride for him, and my resolve to question him further about his experiences next time I visit him in Sweden.

Imagine that, I am so closely tied to a true revolutionary, and didn't even know it..

No comments: