Sunday, June 8, 2008

Joy of Joys!

I can eat BUTTER!

Background:
- I am severely lactose intolerant
- I hate taking pills with meals
- Hence I usually don't eat dairy

I decided yesterday that instead of using purchased butter for a dish I wanted to make to share with a friend, I'd make my own using heavy whipping cream. I've done this by accident before (when trying to make whipped cream and getting over enthusiastic), but I wanted to read up on the chemical process that actually makes butter, well, butter. It's really pretty cool.

Anyways, in the process I made the discovery that natural, homemade butter is very low in lactose... And to my delight, I found I can eat it without taking a lactose pill with no ill effects!!!!

Store bought butter still kills me, though..

Anyways, this great discovery has brightened my day. I've decided I'm going to start making monthly batches of clarified butter (keeps longer), so butter can once more be a part of my life.


... I'm so happy. :)

No comments: